General Volunteer – Shine – London – 28th September 2013
Important: No more volunteers are currently required for this opportunity.
Why we need you:
Cancer Research UK needs inspiring and motivational people to make a difference at our night-time walking marathon, Shine in London on Saturday 28 September 2013.
This unique & fun night-time full or half marathon walk brings together passionate people raising money for Cancer Research UK’s life-saving work helping to beat cancer through research. At Shine, everyone has a role. We need you to join the force, volunteer, and help us to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. Help make Shine happen!
What will you be doing?
This is a hugely varied role in which you will be doing important tasks to help us put on our night-time walking event. You may be asked to:
- Help set up and manage the Start or Finish Area or set up event equipment
- Greet the walkers and spectators as they arrive and depart the event
- Support with Start/Finish activities and other general event logistics
- Motivate walkers as they return from their walk cheering, handing out medals and water
- Help with the administration, enquiries and left luggage areas
- Keep the flow of participants moving throughout all areas
- Support the clear down of the venue once the event has finished
- May involve moving heavy equipment (although it is not essential for you to do this)
- Help with other tasks as needed - these will be discussed with you on the night.
- Go the extra mile!
Interested in being a team leader and managing a team of volunteers yourself? If so please let us know when you sign up and we will contact you about the opportunities available.
What skills do you need?
- Being able to engage, motivate and inspire Shine walkers
- Use of initiative to make smart and brave decisions
- Ability to use your assertiveness when necessary
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Working collectively with others to ensure the event runs smoothly
- Ability to deal with incidents that may occur in a cool and calm manner
- Be comfortable volunteering through the night, on your feet for long periods of time or outside – bring lots of warm clothes and comfy outdoor shoes!
- For those interested in team leader roles at Shine please tell us about any experience or skills you may have that would make you great in this role
How much time do you need to commit?
We won’t know the exact shift timings until nearer the event date, but they are about 8 hours long.
Approximate timings for shifts are:
Shift 1: Saturday afternoon/evening e.g. 3pm – 11pm (general volunteer only)
Shift 2: Saturday evening e.g. 6pm - 2am
Shift 3: Saturday over night e.g. 10pm - 6am
Shift 4: Sunday morning e.g. 5am - 1pm
Whilst we do need people to cover the full shift, if you can only volunteer for a few hours we would still love to hear from you - please let us know your availability when you sign up.
Once you have signed up, the Shine team will keep in contact with you in the months before the event. A couple of weeks before the event we will let you know more details about your allocated role and your shift time. You will also receive briefing notes beforehand and a full briefing on the event night. You will have a designated manager who will guide and support you at the event.
Some roles may require more detailed briefing in which case we will invite you to a briefing day to get you up to speed with your area so you feel 100% confident for the night.
What’s in it for you - the benefits are:
- Satisfaction of making a valuable contribution to Cancer Research UK and our life-saving work
- Experience in event co-ordination and delivery
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being a part of our dedicated local team
- The experience of working with one of the UK’s leading charities
- You will receive a volunteer t-shirt and light refreshments on the night
One day we will beat cancer. Help us make it sooner.